Wednesday, September 20, 2006

ADDDDDDDD & White Trash Mom

Dear WTMs, I am sure it is no surprise that I am a product of the 60's and 70's and I have major "ADD". My career has been spent in advertising, where ADD is kind of a prerequiste for the industry (being child like and hyper makes you a lot of money). Sorry if this is too much information but there is a point here. I will get to it, I promise. So...two years ago when my 12 year old was at the old school where she was getting bullied to a pulp....the school suggested I take the child to a doctor to check for "ADD" since she seemed very "distracted" in class. Naturally, being the obedient mother, I take the child to the doctor to see if she has "ADD". We go to the shrink doctor and she talks to my daughter for a bit and then talks to me. My daughter is fine. She probably has mild ADD but the reason she's "distracted" at school is due to the fact she is getting BULLIED daily. After giving me the lowdown on my daughter, the doctor pauses and says: Have YOU ever been tested for "ADD"? The bottom line of the visit was that my daughter was relatively fine-----however she thought I could benefit from some ADDERALL, the ADD medication! THAT my friends, is the background for the story I am FINALLY telling you today. Whew. So at 43, along with 11 year old boys everywhere, white trash mom takes AdderallXR. It is really a godsend and has helped me be a better person, better wife and better mom by helping me FOCUS more. Okay----but the hardest part of taking the medication is going to the pharmacy to get the refills. What I am about to tell you I SWEAR is a true story. I am not embellishing at all (okay maybe a little). Dig if you will, the picture: White Trash Mom in jeans and clean shirt. At pharmacy waiting for ADD script to be filled. Nice blue haired ladies are chatting with me while we wait. I am nice to them, polite----just like the grandaughter or whatever. The nice old ladies were very sweet and we were having a love fest while we waited for our drugs, talking about Fall Mums. Then the pharmacist calls me over IN A REALLY LOUD VOICE and says: The insurance company will only pay for HALF of your prescription....they said that the drug is supposed to be for kids, not adults. You are taking more than they recommend for a child. The nice blue haired ladies immediately FLEW away from me, over the other side of the pick up counter. It was like I was TED BUNDY or some human form equally as gross! I tell the big mouth pharmacist in a normal voice that the she needs to call my doctor so that the doc can CALL insurance company. I tell the pharmacist I will be back shortly to pick up my "crack" and I slink out of the store....feeling like I did something wrong. I really don't care about the fact that a prescription can help me in my daily life. I am way over that. I just get bummed out that I get treated like a "crack" addict for taking a FDA approved drug that hurts no one and has made my life a better place to live! It is pretty funny, in a sick kind of way, so I had to share.

10 Comments:

Blogger dariasmama said...

Now would be a good time to use your extra focus to write a letter of complaint to the company that owns the pharmacy. Carbon copy to the pharmacy manager, and the store manager. That pharmacist just violated HIPAA regs I'm sure and needs to learn better customer service.

I'm glad to hear the meds are helping. :)

9/22/2006 5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, that's not nice and more sad than funny. Pharmacists should really go in for sensitivity training.

9/22/2006 5:45 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

OMG, that's awful. You know, every time I go to the drive through lane at my pharmacy and I speak into a microphone that's broadcasted throughout the pharmacy, I wonder about the so-called HIPPA regulations and how those are being violated. I think the same thing in your case. That was really low of the pharmacist to do that. It's nobody's business! Grrrrr.....

9/23/2006 5:37 AM  
Blogger Tasha said...

My son is getting tested for ADD next month. I KNOW I have ADD but have never done anything about it. I blogged about it a couple of weeks ago. Maybe you can give me some suggestions......

9/23/2006 9:10 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Report the Pharmacist. He just violated YOUR HIPPA rights.You should never feel that you have done something wrong.

From someone who has been in pharmacy for 10 years we are here to help you.

That Pharmacist is wrong!!!

9/23/2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger ^starshine said...

Perhaps that guy needs a script for oral diarrhea.

This just reallllllly annoys me. This totally violates the HIPAA Privacy Rule. So much so that I dug up the website where you can file a complaint...

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacyhowtofile.htm

Our pharamacy has a telephone that the pharmacist uses to talk to the people in the drive through. No one inside can hear our conversation.

9/23/2006 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of the above is probably true, but your pharmacist is not only an asshole but totally ignorant. Aderral XR is taken by plenty of adults. Children taking it continue to do so until adulthood as well as late diagnosed adults, myself being one of them.

9/24/2006 6:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would FREAK out at the pharmacist, and the pharmacy that hired him or her. Your privacy was violated.

9/26/2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I agree with comment #1... I used to work in health care, and his loud mouth definitely violated HIPAA regulations. I mean, the old ladies were just acting their age, as unfortunate as that is. But the pharmacist should know better. I think it would be kinda fun to make a big deal out of it and write the carbon copy to the insurance company, drug store, and pharmacist. Tee hee.

9/27/2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger BigAssBelle said...

that is fucked up. i took ritalin for a while, diagnosed at 36, and it was magic. spiked my BP else i'd take it daily. it was wonderful. happy adderall works for you. what an asshole at the pharmacy.

9/29/2006 4:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home