Friday, September 22, 2006

White Trash Mom Troop Beverly Hills Camp Out

Dear WTMs, This might be the last post you have from me, since I am going camping this weekend with the Girl Scouts. My older girl is a Cadette Scout and now my younger girl, Miss Minnesota/Margarita is a Brownie. I was a troop leader for the Scouts, along with some of my best buddy WTMs, when my older girl was in 1st grade. When I told my husband that I signed up to be a troop leader, his snarky reply was: What are you going to do for an activity? Take them shoe shopping at Nordstroms? Naturally, my husband was, in fact right on target and so my buddies and I gladly gave up our leadership roles to a wonderful woman after just one year of being in charge. She has been the troop leader since. Bottom line is this: I owe her one as she bailed me out (because stuff like Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts is FOR LIFE. It is very hard to find volunteers because it takes up a lot of time). Fast forward, the girls are in 7th grade. Wonderful scout leader calls me the other night. She needs warm bodies to camp out. In a tent. On the ground. With a bunch of pre-teens. White Trash Mom's idea of camping....is staying somewhere with no room service. Lame but true. I say yes. I tell her that I don't know how much practical help I will be-----but I am in. However, being the resourceful leader, she doesn't tell me that my best friend, Senor Patron, cannot come to the camp out until AFTER I commit. The woman is shrewd! However, it is too late to back out, despite the ban on alcohol for adults, so hopefully I will post when I return.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't envy you -- My idea of roughing it is staying at a Holiday Inn and eating at Denny's. What a good mom you are to be putting up with all this ... sober.

9/27/2006 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love camping, but we have to have electricity so I can make coffee, and a heater is good for the cold ass mornings. You could always sneak alcohol, like in high school...get those little airline bottles or something! Yeah, and put it in the bottom of your sleeping bag, and...wait this is getting scary-almost like I'm GOING or something. Oh, and bring Benadryl-put it in the kids' food for peaceful evenings of sleep. Just the essentials, you know.

9/28/2006 12:31 AM  
Blogger sozzled said...

my understanding is that you can not get caught drinking at girl scout camp. I am a leader and it is the ONLY way I'll take my girls camping. Trust me, it can be done....

10/02/2006 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home