Monday, October 16, 2006

If Shopping is a Disease, I'm Terminal.

Dear WTMs, Apparently compulsive shopping is more common than anxiety or depression, according to a new study released by doctors at Stanford University. The study says that 1 in 20 adults suffer from an addiction to shopping. There are some medical professionals that want to classify shopping addiction as a true medical disorder----right up there with Bi-Polar Depression! Yippee! Good news for the white trash credit card chargers (like me)! The cherry on the cake of this NEWS story about "shopping addiction" comes from one of the best ever sources for American life, "NEWS OF THE WEIRD".

When Lucille Schenk finally sought help for compulsively buying jewelry, New York psychologist April Lane Benson advised her to have a "conversation" with the jewelry before she made her next purchase, as a way to put some distance between herself and her compulsion. "I would say, ‘You are so beautiful, I can’t live without you; I love the way you sparkle,’" recalled Schenk, 62, in an interview. "The jewelry would say back, ‘You need me. You look pretty when you wear me.’ I would say, ‘I do need you. I can’t possibly think of being without you. But something has to change. I need to stop this. I can’t afford a penny more.’"

There is really nothing to say in response, is there? I have an idea for Ms. Schenk. Next time she has an urge to purchase jewelry, she could just pay ME the money and I COULD TALK TO HER (instead of the jewelry).

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

No doubt. I'd be happy to talk to her too. For half the cost of the purchase!

10/16/2006 8:48 PM  
Blogger carmachu said...

She could use the money she spends on jewelry to hire some one to follow her around an club her over the head every time she tries to buy more....

10/17/2006 5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been saying for years that my mother-in-law was addicted to shopping. Is it really news that this is a real problem - I think not.

10/17/2006 7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home